Leveling The Playing Field For The Victims Of Workplace Sexual Harassment
Sexual harassment is a scourge in the modern American workplace. It affects the mental and emotional well-being of employees and robs employees of the safety they are entitled to in the workplace. At its core, it’s an attempt to wield power against the vulnerable, often perpetrated by superiors against employees lower on the organizational chart who are afraid to make waves and risk their career advancement. Our attorneys at Reisman & Reisman combine for over 20 years of experience representing individuals in sexual harassment claims.
What The Law Says About Sexual Harassment
Sexual harassment is not merely frowned upon; it’s against the law. Both state and federal laws strictly prohibit it. Despite the law being clear on the legality of sexual harassment, it continues to be a problem that plagues workplaces in California and across the nation. For conduct to be considered sexual harassment by law, it must meet the following criteria:
- The conduct is unwelcome or “nonconsensual”
- The conduct would be offensive to a reasonable person
- The conduct is severe or pervasive, creating an abusive or hostile work environment
What Is Sexual Harassment?
In general, if you think someone’s behavior toward you is crossing the line into sexual harassment territory, it probably is. The following are examples of behaviors legally considered sexual harassment in California:
- Unwanted physical contact of a sexual nature, such as touching or blocking an individual’s movement
- Sexual gestures or displaying visuals or objects of a sexual nature
- Verbal statements of a derogatory nature targeted toward an individual
- Offering workplace benefits in exchange for sexual favors
- “Quid pro quo” harassment – threatening adverse employment action, such as demotion or termination, if a subordinate rejects sexual advances
Don’t Wait Another Day. Contact Us Today.
If you have been subjected to sexual harassment in the workplace, contact us today for a free consultation. When you turn to us, you will work directly with one of our experienced attorneys who will be there for you every step of the process. You will pay no fees until we win your case.
Get The Compensation You Deserve — Call 844-380-0470